Monday, May 23, 2011

Bedouin Experience

After a full day in the Negev desert I am exhausted....like almost falling asleep while writing this blog but since I have devoted blog stalkers (yes, you guys) I decided I couldn't keep you guys waiting. And you have to read today's because there will not be a bedouin than this! hehe So here goes. We went to the Negev desert to have a "Bedouin" experience which means that we went to a few beduoin communities and also went to a place where they weave these beautiful rugs and pillow cases. The Church supports a few of the schools in these communities because they are not officially recognized by Israel so they receive no financial support.
The women are very inspirational, they have no money, not a lot of support but they are challenging themselves to go to school and receive an education. They have a 70% drop out rate for females but at least it is better than nothing.

Then we traveled to Be'ersheva which is the ancient city of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. We saw the ancient well that Abraham dug in Genesis 21. There is also a temple that supposedly King Solomon built and then was torn down by Hezekiah.  There were ruins of sacrifical altars and we couldn't resist to re-enact these sacrifices.
ON the way home we the route took us next to the Dead Sea which was amazing. The road down there was filled with twists and turns and loads of camels on the side. The dead sea area reminded me a lot of Lake Powell, like exactly. The mountains on the Jordan side looked like the mountains at Bullfrog Marina and then the other side looked like the canyons in Lake Powell. It made me sad knowing that I am missing it this year but I think I will manage :) And now I need to go read for tomorrow so I will leave you with a few pics from Turkey.
OK so you only get one because I am too impatient to wait for it to download.

No comments:

Post a Comment